Take The Stress Out of Decorating
Home decorating can be stressful and overwhelming. There are so many choices and styles and features out there that it can be tough to know where to start with a project.
At Bretz Interiors serving the greater Denver area, our trained consultants are happy to help you fine-tune your home-decorating plan.
In the meantime, here are some steps to follow to get started:
- Get ideas from home décor magazines and the internet. Know what you like and don’t like, and start to narrow down your style.
- Decide the focal point of the room you’re decorating. You’ll use it to determine many things, including where furniture should go, what colors you might use and where you’ll put them, and what type of window treatments you might want to add.
- Define the parameters of the space. The best way to visualize what you have to work with is to map it on graph paper, using one square to equal one foot of space. Mark the dimensions of the room, including where doors and windows are, and create cut-outs of the furniture that will go in there. That way, you’ll be able to rearrange the room without straining your back!
- Understand the lighting of the room. Depending on which direction the window faces, you’ll get a different quality of light at different times of the day. And at night, you’ll be using artificial light, which will impact how the room looks and feels as well. For example, if you are using black-based colors such as purple, indigo, blue, teal, or green, you might want to try the LED cool light bulbs. For brown-based colors such as orange, red-orange, red, and magenta, use the LED warm light bulbs.
- Determine the function of your window treatments and whether they’ll fully block light or filter it or whether they’ll need to keep your space private from passers-by. Once you know their function, you can determine the type of treatment that will work best for your space—from honeycomb shades to draperies to shutters.
- Consider accessories to round out the look of your room. Accessories can add a personal touch that will really let people understand your personal style.
- Set a realistic budget and timeline and stick to it. You might consider having a buffer fund set aside as well.
- Go shopping! Now that you’ve determined the look you want, the budget you’ll follow, and the timeline you need to hit, get the stuff you need to get your decorating project off the ground. Enjoy!
Room Decorating in Denver CO
Bretz Interiors is a family owned business located in Lakewood and serving the greater Denver area. In operation since 1959, we focus on delivering high quality products and exceptional service to every client.
Contact us today to learn more about our custom window treatments!