Many of us have little color in our homes are colors that might not complement each other. To create a unified look in a room, start with the floor. Chose a neutral color, such as a soft off-white, a light beige, or tan. Then, paint the walls a restful gray-green and select window coverings, such as the Hunter Douglas Pirouette® window shadings to match the walls. These selections will visually expand the space and create a blend of color throughout a room.
Like any major improvement of your home, window coverings are an investment. Hunter Douglas products are available at a price point you can afford, with a variety of features and styles that you choose based on your design preferences, functional needs, and budgetary requirements. Because everything is custom, pricing is based on the size of your windows, the style of window treatment you choose, lifting systems, and other optional features. Stop by Bretz Interiors serving the metro Denver area and let our experts will help you find the perfect window treatment for you add color to your home!
Selecting the Right Neutral Window Treatment
Colored window treatments will jump out and become the focal point of any room. Some might say it is like putting art on the window. Selecting whites and off-whites for your window treatments will create a timeless look and make changing other design elements and colors in the room much easier.
Hunter Douglas offers an extensive color palette in each of their window treatment collections, and there is always a large group of neutrals to select from. Although, remember that not all whites are the same and selecting the “wrong” white could stand out as much as a color. To be safe, have Bretz Interior design consultants bring the window treatment color samples to you, so you can see how they will look in your home. A few popular Hunter Douglas Window treatments include:
- Custom shutters. Available in wood, faux wood, and polysatin™ materials. You can also customize your paint, stain, and neutral colors.
- Silhouette® window shadings: Fabric vanes suspended between two sheer fabric facings. These window shadings are offered in neutrals, pastels, and soft hues.
- Duette® Honeycomb Shades: Honeycomb construction available in hundreds of colors, textures, and cell sizes. Also available in sheer, semi-sheer, semi-opaque, opaque, and blackout fabrics.
Keep the Color off the Walls or Window Treatments and Add it to the Ceiling
Afraid to put color on the walls or windows? The ceiling is a very interesting way to give your space a punch of color. Follow these guidelines when putting color on your ceilings:
- Select a flat finish for a more elegant look. When putting color on a wall or ceiling, the higher the finish of the paint, the more imperfections you will see.
- Recede space by selecting colors with black undertones, such as blues, greens, lime greens, teals, and purples. If your ceiling is only 8 feet, these colors will not come down into the room. The ceiling will look taller and your window treatments will recede into the space and not be noticed as much.
- Advance space by selecting colors with brown undertones, such as yellows, golds, oranges, red-oranges, reds, and magentas. These colors will bring the ceiling height down and make the room feel cozier.
Making Smart Decisions when Adding Color to Your Home
If color is an element of design that you like to change often, stay neutral when selecting blinds, shades, and flooring. These design elements tend to be more expensive to change out. Instead, add color using paint, throw pillows, area rugs, and accessories because they are relatively inexpensive to change. You might actually decide to change or rotate these items seasonally to give your home fresh looks throughout the year. In the end, color used correctly will brighten your mood, provide a tranquil retreat, or put a smile on your face. Don’t be afraid to add a punch of color to your home!
Adding Color to Your Home in the metro Denver area
Bretz Interiors is a family owned business located in Lakewood and serving the greater Denver area. In operation since 1959, we focus on delivering high quality products and exceptional service to every client. Our showroom has a wide variety of displays and our sales team is happy to assist you with any questions you may have!